Your Schadenfreude Cafe

by Homeless T
2011-11-27

Look me down, should ever you tumble this way.
Sample the dead duck shot down in your fray
taste all their miserable schadenfreude fare
like milk of human kindness flavored with fear
This table of boors will let you sit here


"Plenty of room, ye idgit."




"A-gnashin," says the leper who eats at my elbow,
"--he be weeping like a bay-be 
whose teat been took away.
Asobbin  all night so downright piteously.
Dreamin he's at his own funeral is he."
The others all know he's talking about me.


"Now good sir, si voux plait,
Pass that dish of taters this way.
And add some roast dog from the kennel platter
In truth, I don't laugh at so dark a matter.

Ye let your tears flow to flush out loveless humours
born of the melancholy ludicrous rumors 
turnin bile black as dead crows of a midnight
what's locked in a coal-bin that never did let in light. 
Your lisp only adds to your Elmer Fudd bit,
Cut it out, maybe you'll get back yer tit"

* * * 

"Well, taint nothin so troublesome

as grease what is puddlesome
but pours a bit more anyway
Your thought needs put better I might say so!"
So says the next wise man who prattles away:

"It's rumors haunt his heart, sure, with ever-uncertainty,
invisible in daylight, yet nightly more murkily, 
He hears poison noises throughout his dream-land,
like prayers for a princess coughed in dirty hands
for love that would never come forth very freely
but did, in the end, for a false golden band
with dull dripping brats for a crybaby man."

What poisons are these, that would kill only me?
Why in hell would friends of mine ostracize me?

The first-done mouth now announces he's tarred
of mincing word table-mates, so he shall retire
and I, hearing chuckles of hobo sarcasm,
know I have been cast into Sheol's deepest chasm,
For them doubly dead and doubly long gone.
For them caught on knees while wearing a sarong.

Laughter scowls sick from the sole man remaining,
scarred by society's collateral maiming,  
"Are ye startin to feel their true meaning, chum?
'A-gnash,' --did ye hear?-- 'and the tittiless one?' 
That's like to cause me some 'leapin up fast
and teeth-bashin some with my boot up an ass
and stealing that ratty, damn-dirty red hat
 like he stole me long-johns
from the laundry-mat.

No, better'n'at!
I'll just loan you my gun.
You blast the grinnin one to Kingdom Come.

*

I choose to eat meals at quieter tables now
 withholding exchanges for more pleasing dreams
of an old dead blind friend, returning to heal me,
half-lost himself, yet now trying to lead me.
In his eyeless vision, he advises change horses
mid-stream and mid-drown amidst black water courses. 
He urges me further undo egregious damage
When all that he really wants is a ham sandwich,
while truly he laughs at the thought of my Hamlet .

I take my meals with less gall each day
though my heart still burns nightly
from children grown away. 
I long had a wish they 
would serve me the fish
that coughs up gold coins
 like those it give Jesus.
Now I know law can't be bought off that way,
nor will ridicule. So I learn to wait.

I feel sufficiently sanguine to say.
My table is open to any who wish to pray.
So join me for soul-food should ye happen this way
the joke is on me at the Schadenfreude Cafe.



Click Here to Return to the Multi-post Homepage